Fr. Cyril Desbruslais S.J. : A man for all seasons

 Rev. Fr. Cyril Desbruslais S.J.: A man for all seasons

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then you are a leader. ~ John Quincy Adams


Preface

This is a homage to Fr. Cyril Desbruslais S.J., on the 50th year anniversary of his youth ministry, on his 81st birthday. 


I first interacted with Cyril in 1978 and he remains to this day my friend, brother, mentor and spiritual director. Like many who grew up in the Cantonment area of Poona in the 1970s (and since then right up to this very day), I had the distinct privilege of encountering this tireless youth leader whose ability to identify and connect with youth remains unsurpassed - and I am undoubtedly better for it. 


From him, I got the inherent capacity to think critically with a healthy dose of curiosity and skepticism while keeping an open mind to contrary ideas. As also a willingness to debate respectfully including the ability to disagree without being disagreeable. And above all, to see the good in others, which means being ready to accept someone different, because we are all children of one loving God.  


Cyril’s boundless energy and creativity to imbue youth with a sense of purpose and identity enabled them to navigate the vagaries of time and grow spiritually and socially while having clean fun. This in turn set them on a path of being well-rounded adults enriching communities across the globe. AMDG (Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, For the greater glory of God)  


Still rocking on his 81st birthday
Still rocking on his 81st birthday (Photo credit: Feroze Bhagat)


We didn't realize we were making memories we just knew we were having fun



My cyberspace tête-à-tête with Cyril


To prepare for this article, I asked Cyril a few questions to reveal the man behind the mystique. 


Interviewer: Cyril, thank you for giving me this opportunity to talk to you today. At the cusp of the 50 years anniversary of your youth ministry what or who informed your personality the most?


Cyril: There was little parental influence on me as both my parents died of TB when I was 9 years old. After my BCom and working for two years at Remington Rand, I decided to become a Jesuit at age 21 because I had an unpleasant adolescence and wanted to help other youngsters (Christian and non-Christian) not to make the same mistakes I made. 


During my theological studies, I decided to form an inter-religious youth group SSU (in 1972, to be precise). The Second Vatican Council made me reach out more and I must say I've never regretted going out every evening after 4.30pm, to seek out and meet youngsters and be most of all a friend to them, even when I was a professor and Superior. The SSU will be 50 years old in 2022 and, in spite of my stroke and my impediment of speech, I'm still in love with youth and try to serve them.


Interviewer: If you had a choice to invite two personalities for an evening meal and chat, who would you choose and why?


Cyril: The two personalities which I would like to meet for a chat, dinner (and drink?) are Jesus and St. Ignatius of Loyola. 


Why? I would like to talk to them, firsthand, about all the plans I have for youth and the Church to be more Christian and more Jesuit. I think their conversation would inspire me a lot more!


I think the Church should be more involved and open (Pope Francis' idea of the Synod finds a responsive chord in me) and I think it should have more inter-religious apostolates. 


Interviewer: If you had to pack a backpack for a road trip with non-essentials that you cannot live without, which items would you take?


Cyril: I would make sure to pack: A Bible, my mobile (to keep up my relationships) and pen/paper (to write about my experiences).   


Interviewer: What are the five books or authors you feel youth should read and why?


Cyril: The books I think youth should read are: Their Holy Book of choice (preferably with commentary to understand it), the Harry Potter series (to show that friendship and love are more valuable than magic of the blackest kind), Tolstoy's War and Peace (to show that hope and love are greater than politics and war), Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream (to show how we can have a happy meaning to our love stories) and Tony de Mello's Sadhana (to open the way to God in an interesting loving way.


hem to navigate the vagaries of time and grow spiritually and socially while having clean fun. This in turn set them on a path of being well-rounded adults enriching communities across the globe. AMDG (Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam, For the greater glory of God) 


Still rocking on his 81st birthday
Still rocking on his 81st birthday (Photo credit: Feroze Bhagat)


We didn't realize we were making memories we just knew we were having fun



My cyberspace tête-à-tête with Cyril


To prepare for this article, I asked Cyril a few questions to reveal the man behind the mystique. 


Interviewer: Cyril, thank you for giving me this opportunity to talk to you today. At the cusp of the 50 years anniversary of your youth ministry what or who informed your personality the most?


Cyril: There was little parental influence on me as both my parents died of TB when I was 9 years old. After my BCom and working for two years at Remington Rand, I decided to become a Jesuit at age 21 because I had an unpleasant adolescence and wanted to help other youngsters (Christian and non-Christian) not to make the same mistakes I made. 


During my theological studies, I decided to form an inter-religious youth group SSU (in 1972, to be precise). The Second Vatican Council made me reach out more and I must say I've never regretted going out every evening after 4.30pm, to seek out and meet youngsters and be most of all a friend to them, even when I was a professor and Superior. The SSU will be 50 years old in 2022 and, in spite of my stroke and my impediment of speech, I'm still in love with youth and try to serve them.


Interviewer: If you had a choice to invite two personalities for an evening meal and chat, who would you choose and why?


Cyril: The two personalities which I would like to meet for a chat, dinner (and drink?) are Jesus and St. Ignatius of Loyola. 


Why? I would like to talk to them, firsthand, about all the plans I have for youth and the Church to be more Christian and more Jesuit. I think their conversation would inspire me a lot more!


I think the Church should be more involved and open (Pope Francis' idea of the Synod finds a responsive chord in me) and I think it should have more inter-religious apostolates. 


Interviewer: If you had to pack a backpack for a road trip with non-essentials that you cannot live without, which items would you take?


Cyril: I would make sure to pack: A Bible, my mobile (to keep up my relationships) and pen/paper (to write about my experiences).   


Interviewer: What are the five books or authors you feel youth should read and why?


Cyril: The books I think youth should read are: Their Holy Book of choice (preferably with commentary to understand it), the Harry Potter series (to show that friendship and love are more valuable than magic of the blackest kind), Tolstoy's War and Peace (to show that hope and love are greater than politics and war), Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream (to show how we can have a happy meaning to our love stories) and Tony de Mello's Sadhana (to open the way to God in an interesting loving way.


Interviewer: You’ve always championed the empowerment of youth. What does the empowerment of youth mean to you? What can parents do today to foster that?

Cyril: Youth empowerment to me means we treat young people progressively like adults and move on when they respond maturely. Don't go too fast but let them learn from their mistakes. Don't hesitate to punish them (non-corporally!) but only when you've talked to them and made them see your point of view. That's what parents should do.

Advise them (don't merely tell them) what branch of studies to take. Parents should have an open house at least one day of the week, to see their friends. Talk over with them their friends and what bad companionship will lead to (especially forays into drugs, and excessive drinking) Create an atmosphere where they are free to ask you ''sex questions'' and the type of spouse to marry.

In the School/Church and College let them have a say (not the last say) when you have to pass judgment on others: you can learn a thing or two! Encourage youth liturgies and also rites where they can celebrate with members of the whole community. Give them real responsibility and initiative when they have chosen their own representatives.


The harvest is plentiful, but the labourers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into his harvest. ~ Luke 10:2

Interviewer: What if anything would you do differently if given the opportunity?

Cyril: Looking back, one thing which I would do differently, is not to act as impulsively as I did as a teenager and bury myself into problems worse than I was seeking to escape. 

To redeem myself, I sought out and befriended the ''worst'' people, the druggies, those who came from broken homes, and those who bunked classes, before they realized I was a priest. Soon everyone knew that I was a priest but then they brought their friends to me. I encouraged them to play Krazy Gamez (gave them an experience of good healthy fun), do social work (meet youngsters worse off than themselves), act in plays (practise teamwork: acting, dancing, singing, making costumes and props - normal life hardly helped gave them opportunities to be creative), be interested in youth liturgies and inter-religious prayer (let them experience God who isn't a bit like the normal cut of  ''religious people''), take them to camps (where the formula was lots and lots of fun and laughter PLUS serious activities - with creative works and games which taught lots of lessons)!


“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” ~ Margaret Mead


Interviewer: How would you describe a typical day in your life when you were a professor at De Nobili College (DNC) in the day and youth leader in the evening?

Cyril: I had always said that from the hour I woke up till 4.30pm in the evening I was a very dedicated professor of Philosophy at DNC and from 4.30pm, I was the beck and call of youth in Pune City, at my seat in K's (the now defunct!) Kayani's Restaurant [at Sharbatwalla Chowk] and sometimes in St. Anne's School Assembly Hall (as long as Sr. Monica was there). 

I was always punctual in the chapel at 6am for personal prayer, even when I was Superior of the Philosophers. I am proud to say that I taught the most courses in philosophy: no one can say I was shirking because of my youth ministry. When I was not teaching, I was available to the seminarians in my office or room preparing for the next day's classes. I was a voracious reader - novels, books on philosophy and theology. On Sundays and holidays, I'd make myself available for Spiritual Direction and Study Guidance to all those who wanted to meet with me. 

At 4.30pm every day I would jump on my bicycle and ride 8 km each way (when I was in my 50s I took a rickshaw, reading on the way) to K's and when there were no girls or boys to see me I would correct assignments or read. As soon as they came, I would put away these things. SSU activities would normally be from 6 - 8pm. Then I would go with a group, or an individual by appointment, to have a light meal and talk (I would sometimes drink a peg or two with boys who were reluctant, at first, to talk but invariably ended up speaking volumes). I'd go to all the latest movies with SSU and evaluate their messages in Cine Forums. 

And about 10.30 or 11pm I'd reach the DNC, and keep my door open to all seminarians who wanted to talk or travel back with SSU members who wanted to have an ''encounter'' with me, or God. And then begin the next day at 6am for personal prayer!


Interviewer: You have mentored innumerable youth over the past 50 years and more. What is the best way they can repay you and keep your message alive?


Cyril: Be interreligious and inter-cultural in the choice of their friends. And inspire and motivate other young people to do that, as SSU alumni in India and abroad do.



Interviewer: How would you like to be remembered? 


Cyril: By not letting the SSU die. SSU alumni can initiate activities like Camps, Plays, Krazy Games, Interreligious prayers (including for the Catholics meaningful Masses and prayers), and inter-scriptural and creativity sessions like they have experienced within SSU.

Cyril’s parents Cyril and Maisie Desbruslais

(Photo credit: Maisie Gollner)


Interviewer: What are you most excited about right now?  


Cyril: Daddy Darling (Jesus' name for God the Father, "Abba Father"), my super-friend and brother Jesus, the Holy Spirit, our loving mother the most Blessed Virgin Mary, my constant companion St. Ignatius who inspired this excitement, my numerous pals, young and old and my parents and sister, my Bible Study group in Pune and Vienna!


“No one changes the world who isn’t obsessed.” ~ Billie Jean King

Cyril (Photo credit: Maisie Gollner)

Early life

Cyril Desbruslais was born on 21 December 1940 in Howrah, Calcutta [now Kolkata]. His parents, Cyril (sr.) and Maisie (sr.) were both of French descent. They tragically succumbed to tuberculosis, as did his infant 18-month-old sister Margaret, when he was nine years old, leaving him and his seven-year-old sister (also named Maisie) orphans. His maternal uncle adopted them and brought them up as his own.


Childhood memories (Photo credit: Maisie Gollner)


Cyril studied at St. Xavier's Collegiate School, Calcutta (a premier Jesuit school for boys that dates back to 1860) and finished his education at St. Vincent's High and Technical School, Asansol (founded and run by the Irish Christian Brothers since 1919). 


Quite early, he showed a passion for the theatre. His performance in one of the most performed and beloved comic musical operas, The Mikado (The Town of Titipu) was so captivating that he got a junior executive position at  Remington Rand Corporation, shortly after completing his B.Com. at St. Xavier’s College Calcutta.


Preparing for the priesthood

Even as a young man growing up in Calcutta his sunny outlook and charisma drew a lot of friends. In 1962, after living the typical life of a fun-loving partying youngster, he felt a strong calling to the priesthood. The day he left for the priesthood, there was a thunderous rainstorm as if the heavens opened with showers of blessing. None of this dampened the enthusiasm of the large group of his friends who came to see him off, no doubt bereft to see him leave them.


He did his novitiate from 1962 – 1964 at Mount St. Joseph’s, Bangalore (a Jesuit formative institution founded in 1959). He followed it up with his Juniorate at Vinayalaya, Andheri from 1964 - 1965. Next, he spent three years studying Philosophy at De Nobili College (DNC) in Poona, the largest Jesuit scholasticate in the world. After that, he spent two years finishing his MA (English) at Poona University. He then returned to Calcutta for a year of regency at St. Xavier’s Calcutta. Regency is a period when novitiates are expected to be fully involved in apostolic work and the community life of the Jesuits. 


Shashi Tharoor (Indian MP, former international diplomat, politician and writer) waxes eloquently, as only he can do, on the immense impact Jesuit educators at St. Xavier's Calcutta had on his character formation. Here is what he has to say about Cyril: "The now-eminent theologian Cyril Desbruslais, then in his 20s, took my class through an epistemological argument for the existence of God, which certainly impressed my fourteen-year-old imagination at a time when I was beginning to flirt with the idea of atheism. When you discover rationality, the idea of religion does not seem so appealing, until you discover the limits of rationalism in a world whose wonders surpass the explanations of reason." [1]


Unbeknownst to many, Cyril wasn't quite sure of the exact nature of his vocation but now it all started to make sense. Convinced that youth service was his raison d'être, he enthusiastically completed his Theology studies at DNC. He was ordained at St. Thomas Church in Calcutta, his parish church in 1974. After which he was sent to Sorbonne, Paris for doctoral studies and finished his Ph.D. at Poona's Jnana Deep Vidyapeeth (JDV, now renamed Jnana Deepa, Institute of Philosophy and Theology).



Cyril counts St. Ignatius Loyola and Pedro Arrupe as his role models. He has this to say of the latter, "He helped the Society come alive for me. He taught me about the inseparable link between faith and justice. He was a true contemplative in action. ...One of my treasured possessions is a book with his signature on it." [2]


Cyril taught for 43 years at the JDV seminary in Pune and is the author of seven books on Philosophy for a clerical audience, including one Macht Krach, in German, a language he is fluent in. You can get the complete set of his books from Dean of Philosophy, Jnana Deepa, Pontifical Athenaeum of Philosophy and Religion, Post Box 3022, Ramwadi, Nagar Road, Pune 411 014, India.


If you really want to change the world you have to inspire young people. ~ Anonymous

Youth ministry: SSU

In 1971, while studying Theology at DNC, Cyril sought and obtained permission from his superiors to work with the local youth in the community. During the day he immersed himself in teaching Philosophy to DNC novitiate students and in the evening he plunged himself with equal zeal into SSU, a youth group he founded in Poona Camp built on a foundation of love, sharing and forgiveness. It turned out to be one of his most enduring legacies serving thousands of youth for over 50 years. 

The name SSU comes from the goals of the group: Searching and Serving in Unity


Looking back he says, "I wanted to form a group of youth open to youngsters of all religions (or none), working or studying, to celebrate our differences of faith and culture (not sweep them under the carpet). I wanted youth to avoid my own bewildering experience. I also wanted to reach out to those youth who normally don’t join such organizations. It took me almost a year of trial and error to find such folks and win them over, but I finally succeeded." [2]


From the very beginning itself, SSU was welcoming to youth of all religions and social backgrounds and conducted a series of activities to help young people find answers to whatever it was they were looking for (God, purpose, friendship, etc). They would meet every Sunday, after the 5.30 pm parish Mass in the St. Xavier's church parish hall. One event that was immensely popular over the years was the 2 hours long Krazy Gamez - a mix of random fun and games that proved invaluable for new members to be welcomed into the group.  



Every Thursday from 7.00 – 8.30 the group met for a bit more serious activities (creativity, an encounter, various personality/ leadership sessions). Youth were given the opportunity to work with various NGOs: SADAK - with street children, EKLAVIYA- with the children of commercial sex workers, SAHARALAAD – with terminally ill patients and so on). 


There was also the weekly evening mass, which I loved to attend at the residence of Nistatai in Bhawani Peth. Over the years it moved around but it was always a well-attended welcoming service.



SSU Cursillo - circa 1979 (Photo credit: Margaret Vase)


Multi-day team and character-building session called Cursillo was held at the Jesuit Retreat House in Vithalwadi, Poona. Cursillo is a movement designed to deepen the spiritual life and bring about Roman Catholic involvement in daily activities through participation in a 3-day gathering usually followed by weekly or monthly meetings.


A more contemporary version of this is the Annual summer Camp at Kune, halfway between Lonavala and Khandala. [3] This week-long leadership camp in June of each year is attended by about 80 youth (including like-minded groups from Hyderabad/Secunderabad and elsewhere).


The annual tradition of Carol singing at orphanages and old people's homes has been kept alive over the years. In 2010, a group of 45 strong dressed in Yuletide colours of green and red took along gently used clothes, books and even festive sweets along to spread the cheer of Christmas when they went carol singing. Say 19-year-old Joel Maduram who played guitar and also took turns dressing as Santa, "It is difficult to express in words the pleasure I felt when I saw how much joy our effort had brought the little children, and the old people. It also struck me as to how everyone deserves a happy childhood." [3]


Theatrical plays


Then there’s the annual play written and directed by Cyril himself and produced jointly with the youth group that audiences in Poona and Bombay enjoyed. Over the years this accomplished playwright has written a stupendous number of 25 full-length plays on themes as diverse as nuclear disarmament, globalization, terrorism, capitalism and consumerism and religious dogma. They all are concerned with themes of social justice, national integration and openness to other cultures. 


Cyril directing 'Two by Two'

Cyril directing 'Two by Two' (Photo credit: Shankar Narayan [5])


Here is how Cyril himself describes the catalogue of his plays [4]:

  • Plays performed by the scholastics at DNC included: Pilgrim of the Future (on Teilhard de Chardin S.J.), The Blade (on Brahmabandhav Upadhyay the 19th century Indian Bengali theologian, journalist and freedom fighter) A.T. (on Fr. Anchanikal T. Thomas S.J., a Jesuit missionary martyred in 1997 in Jharkhand by Maoists), and Even to the Indies (Roberto de Nobili S.J., the Italian nobleman who was an early Jesuit missionary to India). 

  • The most successful plays for youth were Inigo (on St. Ignatius of Loyola) and Eschaton (my ‘musical’ response to Jesus Christ Superstar where a Hindu boy played the part of Jesus fantastically). 

  • Against the Tide depicted the witness of Franz Jaegerstaetter, a simple Austrian layman who was guillotined by the order of Hitler for having refused to fight in his army. The White Rose is the tale of a brave little band of University students in Munich who dared defy Der Fuehrer. 

  • Then there are plays set in Latin America, such as The Ballad of Nestor and Cecy (on the life of Nestor Paz and his wife Cecy, who defied the despotic regime of Bolivia), Esperanza (the story of the Jesuits of the Central American University at El Salvador), and Camilo (the story of Camilo Torres, priest and revolutionary in Colombia). 

  • Some also featured biblical stories retold to give them a contemporary relevance: Adam and Eve and Two By Two (Noah’s Ark), both of which stressed ecological issues and the need for national integration. 

  • Last but not least, a trilogy about typical Pune youth, their dreams, hopes and fears: Boy and Girl, Carry on Boy and Girl and Boy and Girl Forever.

Eschaton - circa ‘79 (Photo credit: Margaret Vase)


These plays helped youngsters to discover and develop their talents while setting them to themes of social justice and concern for the disadvantaged. Some had a very catchy musical score to boot. In particular, my memories of acting in Eschaton are vivid even to this day. The musical score, of an extremely high standard, wowed audiences everywhere, including when we took the show on the road to three theatres in Bombay.



Insiya's selfie with Cyril and friend
Insiya's selfie with Cyril and her friend

Insiya Lokhandwala, a psychology Master's student, is the classic example of the reach-and-connect that the SSU brings to non-Christian youth in the city through the medium of theatre. Having seen one of earlier plays, Giddiyap, Gideon, she decided Two by Two was her chance to play Mariam, who is Noah’s wife. “I went for the audition and even though most of the SSU members are Christian. As I started becoming more involved with the SSU's activities and started to know Cyril, I felt more accepted and I did not feel like an outsider at all. They accepted me for who I am,” says Lokhandwala, who continued to say, "That a priest, Fr Cyril Desbruslais, would helm the project also did not really matter. As for the theme of the play: Noah in the Koran is referred to as Noor Nabi. It was a childhood story I grew up with." [4]


Bible Study

Fr. Cyril's sermons and bible study sessions were always spot on. He was able to combine his encyclopedic knowledge of the Scriptures with his legendary oratory skills to make religion accessible to anyone interested in listening. After all these years, whenever I have a question about religion or spirituality, his name comes up almost instantly. I know he will point me in the right direction. And he has always come through despite the passage of time (40 years) and the separation of space (we are located on opposite sides of the globe).


Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time ~ Bran Stark in A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin


Tributes from some of his lifelong friends


While still a scholastic at DNC, I was inspired by the way Cyril committed himself to the SSU and to his students. More particularly, the way he’d spend quality time with each individual. Countless hours during the day or late into the night. He inspired me to train to be an animator for youth groups. One thing led to another including being trained as a counsellor, earning my Master followed by a Doctorate. It's been 28 years since I have been offering my service as a Counsellor. AMDG. ~ Fr Dudley Mendonca S.J., St. Peter's Church, Bandra.


My first encounter with Cyril was in 1970 at De Nobili College. An affable, charming and engaging young intelligent theologian who was highly energetic and found time for a raft of commitments: a student of theology, a professor of philosophy, an up-and-coming playwright and a budding youth leader. 

In my two years with Cyril with the SSU, I witnessed him nurture and develop young minds to reach their full potential, teaching them about faith, life skills and most important to live a Christian life daily in the service of others. His leadership and Social service camps, Cursillos, Communication workshops, Plays, methods of Study seminar and Team building had a huge impact on me, shaping my career and changing my life for the better. Cyril is the epitome of humility, tolerance, patience, diligence and unwavering purpose. Cyril, you have been a blessing and a light in my life and in the lives of so many others. I cannot thank you enough.  I wish you a wonderful 81st birthday. May our good Lord continue to bless you and give you the strength to continue the exemplary work ~ Mariano Mendonza


I first met Cyril at De Nobili college (DNC) in 1971 when I was an 18-year-old with long hair trying to find and establish my own identity as a teenager. Cyril had just come to DNC a few days earlier but his reputation as a person actively engaged and inspiring young people from Calcutta preceded him. From 1971-1975 he became an integral part of my life and taught me a host of skills which has stood me in good stead throughout my life. He taught me different public speaking skills and gave me an opportunity to act on stage: for a young guy who was shy, this was just amazing. He was and still is, “my go-to person” at all times, he always made himself available and walked the proverbial extra mile even though in those days he cycled all the way from DNC to Camp and back. He inspired, involved and instructed me without ever preaching to me: a rare skill I admire in Him even today. After many years away I connected with Cyril two years ago in 2019 and once again, Cyril proved to be a real source of inspiration and a great role model for me. He even gave me a chance to act in an SSU play, Two by Two, where I played the role of Noah. At age 66, I was back on stage, in a play directed by Cyril, having acted in one of the first plays as Jesus in Eschaton - a man for others. This is my dear friend Cyril who has a brilliant and intelligent mind but is always at the level of any young person who comes to him. Till today he is in touch with me on a regular basis and helps me with continued and faithful prayers and sound advice on my journey of Life. Thank you for your love, care, and support, especially in my recent fight with cancer. Your prayers and your love have helped me to be cancer free at this time. ~ Ashok Vase


Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible ~ St. Francis of Assisi


Having known Cyril for 40 years, [I] have great love and respect for the wonderful person that he is. He was not only a strong and positive influence on [my late husband] Gladwyn but on me as well. Cyril comes across as a true disciple of Christ. Knowing him is knowing Christ. May God grant Cyril a long life and may he continue to be a blessing to us. ~ Helen Netto


Beloved Cyril, I met you a lifetime ago, and my world changed but you have not.  Of all the gifts you blessed me with, my most vivid memories are praying with you, and understanding, assimilating, and developing a closeness to Jesus that has never left me. I recall admiring your sense of poetry, and your passion for theatre as a powerful and potent vehicle for sharing the message of our wonderful God!! Lo and behold 40 years later, Cyril you are just as passionate about Jesus! Hallelujah! You reminded me all over again, that I have a role to play in God's Kingdom here in our world. With gratitude and my love ~ Florence Srinivasan



Cyril: A man for all seasons (credit: Anil Gonsalves)


We first met  Cyril in 1970 when he was a young, dynamic priest, with a refreshing view of life that totally appealed to us teenagers. All four of us Noronha siblings attended many of his SSU camps, Cursillo and other activities. Our mother Agnes wished that one of her sons should join the priesthood but it was not to be. Her wish however came true when Cyril met our family. He always affectionately called her 'Mummy', and she called him her fourth 'Son'. We remember his early plays like The Impossible Dream and Eschaton, which were also performed in Bombay. Three years later, in 1973, we moved to Bombay. Cyril continues to this day to be part of our Noronha family. He was there to celebrate the mass at most of our family weddings, as well as our parents' funerals. We have never met anyone like Cyril. Humble and loving, non-judgmental, supportive, offering selfless service, guiding each of us and, frankly, instrumental in shaping our individual lives. He is respectful of people of all faiths, with love and understanding. He truly lives his religion in all aspects and sets an example for us, to walk, like him, in Christ's footsteps. On the occasion of his 81st birthday, our entire Noronha family, wishes our dear brother Cyril, every blessing from God. We are truly blessed to have him in our lives. ~ Noronha siblings: Melville Noronha and Venzina Nairyani (nee Noronha).



To a man who meant so much

To so many over the years

Who taught us how to embrace life

And overcome our fears

Who drew out the best in us

And pushed us a further mile

With song and dance and so much fun

And always with a smile.


With "The Impossible Dream"

I learnt how to believe

That there was nothing in life

Willingness could not achieve

With "Eschaton" I came to know

That I was never alone

For my Saviour was always there

To help me through the unknown


And even though I wasn't there

For all the plays that followed

There always was a message therein

That guided many onward.

And all the successive generations

Will agree with me when I say

That their lives were never the same again

After being a part of your play.


The Krazy Gamez, the serendipity sessions,

And the contemplative Masses

The fun picnics and memorable camps

Were also hidden lessons

In always being aware and thoughtful

Of  all those  around us

And of continuing to contribute

To peace, harmony and happiness.


And so Cyril

Our mentor guide and friend

You changed the course of our lives

In ways you couldn't have imagined

And for this we shall always

Thank you with a grateful heart

And know that to the end of our lives

Of us you will always be a part.


~ Monica Dias (nee Gaikwad)


Cyril has always been a close friend and a source of strength and inspiration to us, Maxie and Margaret, our siblings and the Lobo & Vase families. Some of his sterling qualities can be captured as follows:

C- Christ-centered, caring, creative, charismatic 

Y- Young at heart and with a focus on youth

R- Respectful to all, with no barriers

I- Insightful and intelligent

L- Loyal and lovable

And he has many more enduring qualities including : 

  • Encouraging the building of long-lasting and meaningful relationships.
  • Being sensitive to others' feelings, he brings a rare insight into people's moods
  • Great listener - listening to what folks wanted to say but could not say! That is a true gift.
  • The originator of many creative fun-loving (Krazy gamez), thought-provoking, meaningful and relevant activities (Plays, deep and meaningful Masses, Cursillos, Camps, inspiring Bible studies with insightful explanations relevant to our present times and Cine Forums) activities that brought people together. He never compelled anyone to do anything but was open to folks choosing activities they liked and felt comfortable with and being a part of the SSU.

Cyril is a true friend and our confidant, always available no matter the time of day. We congratulate him warmly on this great milestone of dedication and commitment ~ Maxie & Margaret Vase (nee Lobo)


Fr. Cyril had a lasting impact on my life when I attended his week-long camp on Personality Development at the Xavier Retreat House in Baga/Calangute, Goa in the early '80s. Even with this one interaction, Cyril touched a lot of lives for the good. He showed us how to give and receive feedback without malice using the Johari Window theory. We learned how to put up a play without a formal script. The camp ended with us doing one such musical play. I remember vividly the folksong 'Little Boxes', a 1963 satire made famous by Pete Seeger. Cyril used it to illustrate how our modern values produce zombie-like people, who are cogs in the wheel. 
Happy 81st birthday Cyril! Thank you for showing me how not to be a cog in the wheel ~ David Mendonsa, Goa

Happiness is meeting an old friend after a long time & feeling that nothing has changed - Anonymous

Reliving evergreen memories
Old friends
(Photo credit: Michelle Bambawale)

Cyril is one of the most intelligent and inspiring people I know. He has helped me to keep my faith strong, in spite of my many contradictory theories and beliefs. I have learnt so much about theology, philosophy, religion, education, the media, theatre, literature and cinema from him that he has pushed me to think deeper and harder on so many levels. In this crazy world and through tough times I have been able to stay spiritual and connected because of him ... it makes me want to believe that in this ever-changing world some things still remain the same. Thanks for everything Cyril. Much love ~ Michelle Mendonça Bambawale 


No story about Cyril or the SSU would be complete without the mention the Kayani's Restaurant or simply K's ... the SSU adda where every SSU activity began over a cup of hot chai ... and a bun maska if we had a few more pennies in our pockets. It boggles the mind as to why the K's owner or waiters never threw us out for all the commotion or the heated discussions peppered with Fs and Bs, not to mention the long hours occupying a table as SSU members strolled in and out. K's was where everything happened and everyone converged. Play scripts were written, Sunday masses organized, Leadership and self-awareness sessions planned, where we all met before setting out for Carol singing, Community outreach or any other activity. It was that place where every new SSU member was inducted and over a cup of chai, we offered one another a shoulder to cry on. And at the centre of all of this was one bespectacled and ‘ present-minded’ Professor, Fr. Cyril, with relentless vigour and stamina, honesty and forthrightness, compassion and confidence and dreams so big, searching and serving with the young dudes and dudettes of the day.

“Life is so short, T’would be a shame,  to just pass by, and never meet”, was the mantra that each and every SSU member lived by and the glue that kept everyone together for that brief but impactful sojourn of Searching and Serving in Unity under the towering and inspiring personality of Cyril.  ~ Theo D'Souza


At the end of the day, it’s not about what you have or even what you’ve accomplished. It’s about what you’ve done with those accomplishments. It’s about who you’ve lifted up, who you’ve made better. It’s about what you’ve given back. ~ Denzel Washington


Epilogue

My idea all along was to let Cyril know how much he meant to us in his living years. I also wanted it to authentic, so the reader could hear his voice. I showed him the draft before anyone else could see it and here is what Cyril had to say:
"I was rendered speechless at what I read. Thank you infinitely. You have made me feel my love and that working for youth has borne some kind of fruit. I have 'water in my eyes'. Thanks to you and the hundred of SSU people who assure me that my life has not been lived in vain. It will go a long way to make my dreams for the future of the SSU come true! Hallelujah!
My sincere and ever grateful love and affection!"
Cyril SJ, your close friend and brother as well to all the SSU!


Cyril's sister, Maisie Gollner
Cyril's sister, Maisie Gollner
Maisie & Hans Gollner with family
Maisie & Hans Gollner with family (Dec/2021)

Last but not least, I'd like to acknowledge the invaluable contributions by Maisie Gollner (Cyril's sister in Vienna), Fr. Stanley Fernandes S.J., Anil Gonsalves, Michelle Mendonça Bambawale, Dorothy Dsouza (nee Lobo) and Ashok Vase. Couldn't have done it without you, my partners in this act of 💝 . God bless y'all!

References and cited works
1. Tharoor, Shashi. “Hate Machinery’s New Target.” The Week, 21 Feb. 2021, www.theweek.in/columns/shashi-tharoor/2021/02/25/hate-machinerys-new-target.html.
2. Rosan S.J., Fr. “DNC Times, March 2020 - Vol 1.” Interview with Fr. Cyril, 1 Mar. 2020, jcsaweb.org/jcsa_publications/DNC_Times/DNCTimes%20Youth%20Synergy%20March.pdf.
3. TNN. “Carol Singers Bring Joy to Everyone’s World.” The Times of India, Pune Edition, Times of India, 22 Dec. 2010, timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/7141623.cms.
4. Searching and Service in Unity (SSU) - Pune. "SSU - Pune". Ssu-pune.blogspot.in. Retrieved7 December 2014.
5. Raj, Roopesh. “47 Years of Searching and Service in Unity, this Youth Chaplain carries on the mission, Two by Two in Pune.” Hindustan Times, 22 Sept. 2019, www.hindustantimes.com/pune-news/47-years-of-searching-and-service-in-unity-this-youth-chaplain-carries-on-the-mission-two-by-two-in-pune/story-ObBAiTpQR9kj9orJVfdj3M.html.

Comments

  1. No amount of words n accolades will be good enough to describe the Greatness of this God sent Priest to the youth of Pune irrespective of cast,colour,or creed.l just don't know from where he got the energy to do all the work he did.Truly the youth of Pune will never get a replacement for Fr. CYRIL.GOD BLESS YOU DEAR CYRIL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Live long Dear Padre Cyril n SSU. God Bless...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please keep conversations courteous and on-topic. Kindly don’t engage in trolling, flame-baiting, name-calling, insulting, stereotyping or gratuitous attacks. Thank you for being a good citizen.

Popular posts from this blog

Bacher Baba

The unstoppable Rev. Fr. Romuald D'Souza SJ

Fr H O Mascarenhas